Spilling water, coffee, or a drink while working on the laptop is common, and it can happen to anybody. But the main point is how to tackle this situation. Naturally, a question comes to mind that is it possible to fix water damaged laptop. Yes, it’s possible if you don’t lose your mind and be efficient to save your computer.
If you accidentally spill the drink on the great laptop for streaming, then don’t panic and follow the steps are described in this article.
How to fix water damaged laptop
Follow the instructions are given below.
- At first, shut down the laptop. Unplug it if the charging adaptor is connected. Press the power button at least for 5 seconds to shut it down and remove the battery if possible.
- Remove all the connected devices. Remove the mouse connection; remove DVD’s, flash drives, and USB’s immediately.
- Try to dry places that you feel wet, open it wide and hold it upside down to drain the collected water. Take a towel or any lint-free fabric and absorb all moisture, especially from sensitive areas like the ventilation area, keyboard and ports. Place a towel on the floor and keep upside down the laptop for a long time.
- The next step is taking apart the laptop; for this purpose, make sure to ground yourself. Grounding yourself will help you to remove any electricity from your body and clothes. Static electricity is not suitable for circuitry, so grounding yourself is essential before touching inside the laptop.
- Now, it’s time to disassemble the laptop; if you are not comfortable doing it or have no confidence in it, then concern with the specialist. But if you are sure that you will do it, search online according to your laptop model to take apart the laptop and follow the instructions. You can also explore your manufacturer’s website. And remove all the inner parts, like RAM, hard drive, and other things.
- In this step, you need to dry all the moisture if it’s there. Use microfiber cloths or any different lint-free fabric to do this task. And be very careful while drying inner components; keep your hand smooth and lighter.
- If you see any dust or debris, then use a lint-free cloth to clean it. Clean all the non-water stains use compressed air if possible.
- In this step, leave your laptop as it is to keep drying it. Keep the laptop in a warm and dry place, and never use a hair drier to boost the drying process. A hair drier is not safe for the laptop because it produces heat.
- Now reassemble the laptop and turn it on. To reassemble it, follow the same process that you followed for taking part.
- After turning on the laptop, if you feel any abnormality in functions, like if the display is not okay and there is any distortion in sound, then contact any professional immediately.
- If the laptop is working fine after turning on, but you see any sticky residue, clean the keyboard with damp, lint-free fabric.
What to do when a laptop cannot be disassembled
If you have a laptop that cannot be disassembled, in this case, you need to go to the repair store immediately. Meanwhile, try to drain the liquid by cleaning it with a towel and making it face down.
Some people suggest keeping the laptop in rice, but we don’t recommend it because it’s neither an effective way nor safe. Rice cannot absorb the moisture that contains alcohol or sugar; also, they can create more problems by inserting the dust in the laptop that they contain
Due to any reason, if you are unable to visit a repair store, then keep it on the towel for two, three days to drain out all the liquid. And when you feel that all the moisture has been absorbed, then turn the power on.
Anybody can make mistakes and spill the drink on the laptop but be careful while working and avoid drinks to save yourself from situations. In the future, if you face this problem and wonder that how to fix water damaged laptop, then this article is going to help you.