Transferring data from laptop to laptop can be a headache for those who don’t know how to do it. But certainly, it’s an easy process if you follow all the steps carefully. Whether you buy a new laptop or want to transfer data to a friend’s laptop, read this article to accomplish the task.
If you want to transfer data from an old laptop and don’t know how to transfer data from laptop to laptop, don’t worry, we are here to help you. There are numerous ways to do it, but you have to choose one that matches the type of your laptop and the data that you want to transfer.
How to transfer data from laptop to laptop
As we have mentioned before, that there are several ways to transfer data from laptop to laptop. We will describe four methods in detail so let’s start.
Transfer data using SMB method
Server message block (SMB) is an effective method to transfer data online from one laptop to another. This is the quick and fastest method to transfer a large number of data between computers.
- First of all, make sure that you are not doing it on a public network; prefer a secure connection instead.
- We suggest you make password-protect your profiles on both laptops to avoid spying activities.
- In this stage, you need to give a workgroup name to your server laptop. A server laptop is that has all files you want to transfer. Creating a workgroup is essential because, in a workgroup, both computers will meet and transfer the data.
- To give a workgroup name, go to the computer domain and then workgroup setting, then choose a workgroup name: after that, restart the laptop to apply the changes.
- Now you have to give the same workgroup name to another laptop. Proceed with the same method to do this task.
- The next step is transferring the data. To do this, locate the “name” of the server laptop and click on it to get permission to share the folders.
- Now go to the application with the name “network.” Both laptops in the workgroup should be seen within a few seconds. Start transferring the files.
Transfer data using Cloud
You can also transfer the data from laptop to laptop using cloud. There are many companies available to do this, like Google drive and Dropbox. You just need an account on the specific cloud, and you can quickly transfer data with the free space in an effective way.
- For those who want to transfer a small amount of data, it’s a practical and helpful method. However, if you want to transfer large files, you will face some limitations as upload timing, storage space, and budget.
- In this step, you need to move the files into the cloud. This is a simple process; by dragging and dropping, you can do it. You may use a simple file upload process as well.
- Now get access to a cloud account from another laptop and start downloading the files you want to download. That’s it; your data is transferred.
Transfer data using storage devices
Another effective method to transfer data from laptop to laptop is to transfer data using storage devices. You can quickly transfer files between laptops with the help of USB flash drives and external hard drives. It’s a secure method but a little bit slow one.
However, you can use this method between one system, either Windows or OSX. Maybe you need to reformat a formatting option (FAT32) before start transferring the data.
- First, check that the storage device can access the files on both laptops. If yes, then start the procedure.
- There is a disadvantage of this method: this process is time-consuming, especially when transferring a large number of data.
- In case of reformatting, try to find more information in format FAT32.
- In this stage, you need to plug-in the flash drive into the server laptop and ensure that you have enough space to store the data you want to transfer.
- Now transfer the files from the laptop to the flash drive. Just drag and drop all the files and wait till the files are transferred into the storage device.
- After that, disconnect the device from the server laptop and insert it into another laptop. After inserting the device into the laptop, start transferring by following the same process. And here, your task is done.
Transfer data using Emails
This is another quick and straightforward method to transfer data from laptop to laptop. You need to put your email address in a section of the receiver.
- First of all, set your email address as a receiver.
- There are multiple ways to attach the files in emails according to the account type. Some types allow you to drag and drop files directly in the email body, and some allow you to attach files such as gmail.com. So attach the files according to your account type.
- After that, proceed with logging into the email account on another laptop and then downloading the files.
As we have mentioned, at the start of the article, there is no rocket science in transferring the files from laptop to laptop. Now you have several methods to do it, and we are sure that we have cleared your confusion about how to transfer data from laptop to laptop.