Most of the laptop users do not concerned about the energy consumption of their laptops but some curious persons want to understand each and everything about their laptops which they have been using for years, and want to know how many watts does a laptop use. So there is no worry, we are going to help you with it. If you want to know how many watts a laptop use this article is for you.
As we know that today’s laptops like notebooks, pro-books, and ultra-books use less power as compared to personal computers, the reason is that the laptops are designed to use the battery and to be more energy-saving and energy-efficient.
The power consumption of the laptop depends on the screen size. A 15-inch laptop consumes approximately 60 watts of energy, a 17-inch laptop consumes 90 watts of energy. So the power consumption of a laptop depends on the screen size of the laptop. A laptop can consume a minimum of 20 watts and a maximum of 100 watts. However, in power-saving mode, the laptop consumes a minimum of 20 watts and a maximum of 50 watts.
Best Laptops for Cricut Makers
Best Laptop for Nursing Students
Factors of power consumption:
The electricity consumption of a laptop depends on different factors such as:
- Screen size
- Laptop type
- The brightness of the screen
- Adapter wattage
- Running applications
- Graphic card usage
The screen size of a laptop plays a very important role in the consumption of electricity. There are different sizes of laptop screens available in the market. A typical 11 to 15-inch laptop consumes approximately 60 to 65 watts per hour and 16 above screens consume 70 watts to 100 watts per hour.
One of the main factors of the electricity consumption of a laptop is the type of laptop either it is a gaming laptop, a general laptop, or a workstation. If you are using a general laptop for a work purpose then it will consume 60 watts per hour of energy. If it is a gaming laptop then it will consume more power. It depends on the model which you are using for gaming. As tested in labs, few gaming laptops use 100W per hour, few uses 135W per hour and some other laptops 180W per hour. The point is that the gaming laptops consume more energy and that’s the reason most of the laptops become hot and they need a cooling pad to cool down.
Another factor in the consumption of power of a laptop is its screen and brightness of the screen. If you use your laptop on “low” screen brightness then it will consume less energy and if you use it on a “high” brightness then it will consume more energy. Turn off the backsight function of the keyboard also results in low consumption of the energy.
Another factor that impacts on the power consumption of a laptop is an adapter. Different laptops comes with different laptops such as:
- A 15.6-inch laptop mostly comes with a 65W adapter
- A 17-inch laptop comes with a 90W adapter.
So the consumption of electricity depends on the size of the adopter.
Another factor that affects the power consumption is the running of the applications on that laptop. If a laptop is running less application than it will use less time of the CPU and consumes less power while if a laptop running is running more applications than it consumes more power because of the more CPU time.
Graphics cards also play an important role in the consumption of electricity. Many of the laptops come with an integrated graphics card that consumes less power. But if you are a professional gamer and play high-end games so you have to use a very good and powerful graphic card. Higher graphic cards provide better visuals and high battery capacity. So all of them together will consume more energy. Most of the workstations which doing tasks like machine learning and artificial intelligence projects also use high and powerful graphic card.
Ways to consume less power on a laptop:
Now you know how much energy a laptop consume and if you want to consume less power on laptops and save electricity than here are some tips you need to remember:
- First of all, you must be careful about your laptop charging, if the laptop gets fully charged make sure you plug out the charger.
- If you do not plug out the charger when the laptop is completely charged, it can be overcharged and the laptop is overheating and consume more power.
- When the battery remains 10%, connect your charger and don’t wait for it to switch off. It will take more time to get a charge that results in more consumption of energy.
- Use the original charger of the laptop provided by the company because it takes less time to get charged.
- Check the condition of the laptop if it gets overheat due to more usage than you need to turn off your laptop for some time. In this way, the laptop cools down and the laptop uses less power.
- Check your processor too, the faulty processor takes more time on processing results overheating and more consumption of power.
- Use a cooling pad to cool the laptop results in less consumption of energy.
Calculate watts consumed by the laptop:
There are two methods to calculate the watts used by a laptop:
- By determining the laptop charger consumption along with other factors as well
- By using an electricity usage monitor
That’s all in this article we provide you in detail how many watts a laptop use. The power consumption of laptops is less than other computers. In addition, power consumption depends upon many factors including the size of the screen, type of laptop. The power consumption of the laptop depends on the screen size. A 15-inch laptop consumes approximately 60 watts of energy, a 17-inch laptop consumes 90 watts of energy. So the power consumption of a laptop depends on the screen size of the laptop. A laptop can consume a minimum of 20 watts and a maximum of 100 watts.